UPDATE: As the search was set to resume Monday morning, Bryton Schmidt was found at home in Battle Ground. 

Around 7 a.m. on Monday, the Sheriff's Office received a report from a couple driving Highway 224 near Carver of a male hitch hiker who appeared cold, dirty, and was only wearing shorts. Sheriff's Deputies searched the are but did not find him. About 45 minutes later Schmidt called his parents from his home in Battle Ground Washington. He is reported to be in good condition.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office wishes to remind people to use the river responsibly. The river has dangers and alcohol should be used in moderation. Also be aware of what time you leave as navigation on the Clackamas River is even more dangerous in the dark.


Sunday evening, a man called 911 to report his friend who had been tubing on the Clackamas River with him, was missing.  The Clackamas County Water Rescue Consortium was activated to conduct a search.  As of 11:30pm, the missing rafter has not been located.  Search and Rescue personnel will return at 8:00 am on Monday August 19th to continue the search.

21-year-old Taylor Young, from Vancouver, and 21-year-old Bryton Schmidt,  from Vancouver, began a rafting trip on the Clackamas River on Sunday. They launched from the Barton Park boat ramp at about 4:00pm, intending to float to Carver park.

At some point along the trip, as it grew dark, the two rafters became separated.  Schmidt was last seen walking through a shallow finger of the river, with a partially deflated float tube.  He was not wearing a life jacket and was reported to be heavily intoxicated.

It is unknown if Mr. Schmidt attempted to continue downriver, or was able to exit the river on his own.

When Young made it to the Carver Park area and was unable to find his friend, he notified the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office at about 8:50 p.m.  The Clackamas County Water Rescue Consortium was activated and began a search of the banks and water surface.  Due to the dangers associated with water conditions and darkness, divers were unable to conduct underwater operations. Schmidt was not located.

Search operations were suspended until Monday morning.  Divers and other search and rescue personnel will return to continue the search.