It’s no secret that Americans love their pets. Whether they're cats, dogs, hamsters, or other lovable critters, about 70% of U.S. households own a pet. SafeWise wanted to find out which states provide the safest and most welcoming environment for our furry friends. They dug into data from the Animal Legal Defense Fund, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, BringFido, and the nØkill Network to find the most and least pet-friendly states in the country for 2019.
Oregon ranked #1 among the top 10 MOST pet-friendly states in the country!
- Oregon is the most pet-friendly state in the US, with strict anti-abuse laws, a high concentration of no-kill shelters, and thousands of pet-friendly locales to visit.
- Iowa is the least pet-friendly state in the US, with weak animal protection laws, a high number of puppy mills, and not many pet-friendly destinations.
- California has the most veterinarians in the country, but Montana has the most veterinarians per capita.
- Illinois has the strictest animal protection laws according to the Animal Legal Defense Fund.
- Missouri is the 2nd least pet-friendly state in the country with the most puppy mills out of any state and weak animal protection laws.
Check out the full rankings and summer pet safety tips here: https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-states-pets/