They say you learn something new every day, well we’ve got you covered for today with these fun food facts. Impress all your friends with this newfound knowledge.
- Peaches and nectarines are basically the same fruit- They’re pretty much genetically identical except for one thing: a gene that determines if the skin is fuzzy like peaches or smooth like nectarines.
- McDonald’s fries were cooked in beef fat until 1990- Then Mickey D’s switched to vegetable oil to make their fries seem healthier, but now they’re made with "Natural Beef Flavor."
- Australia has fruit salad trees- The multi-grafted trees were developed to grow up to six different types of fruit on one tree.
- German chocolate cake isn’t from Germany- It’s named for Sam German, who invented a kind of baking chocolate.
- Hawaiian pizza isn’t from Hawaii either- It was actually invented in Canada.
- SPAM is a mix of the words “spice” and “ham”- So that urban legend about it standing for Scientifically Processed Animal Matter is wrong.
- Most wasabi is just horseradish that’s been dyed green- Real wasabi is hard to grow, really expensive, and should be eaten within 15 minutes after its grated.
- Pineapples take years to grow- We’re talking two to three years a pineapple.
- Nabisco redesigned its iconic animal crackers box after PETA complaints- The new, less-offensive design uncages the animals and lets them run free.
- Before Wally Amos got famous for his cookies and became Famous Amos, he was a talent agent who discovered big stars- He signed Simon and Garfunkel, Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye were some of his clients.
- Lemons float but limes sink- It’s all about density, limes are a little more dense than lemons.